Pages

Saturday 14 May 2011

Winning Entries

Here are the final six winning entries that were chosen along with a short description about each:

Hannah Crackett

To me, ‘stalking’ suggests a way of moving and behaving that’s quite sinister and predatory. I wanted to try and create the feeling that something was being hunted and a creature whose body enabled them to move quietly and quickly. The illustration’s supposed to be quite ambiguous so people can fill in the back-story for themselves. It’s meant to make viewers feel quite uncomfortable.



Joseph Horton

The concept of this piece was celebs exposed to 'stalkers' whether it be fans or the paps the text is personal expriences that happened to them, tweets and tour dates etc. The rips in the paper are to symbolise peep holes and give the element of spying.



Joe McCarthy

After great difficulty trying to photograph the effects of sport on spectators at pubs, bars, and professional football matches I decided to take a different approach. I decided to photograph the football match through the television screen, creating highly pixelated images that are not unlike those created by surveillance cameras.
The images produced are a comment on censorship and copyright in sport (especially football), how can football clubs justify the surveillance, filming, and stallking of fans, spectators, officials and players but not allow the general public to do the same?  From the seat in my living room I am able to stalk and photograph whatever the television screen allows me to.




Martha Glass

Central New York, a man crosses the road carrying a portfolio and some keys, his gaze glancing just to where my camera lens is pointing. My one eye meets the direction both his shaded eyes are facing. Mid action, this moment in time has stuck with me for 3 years and only took place for a fraction of a second. This action shot (2009) interests me. I want to know what is going to happen next in my ‘Fantasimisic’ mind. I am able to make up a story and separate myself from this city that is constantly alive. It takes me to the scene of a spy movie where you find the photographer in the car taking pictures to document this
suspicious suspect, and sound of the shutter releasing under the music. Next moment the gun fire goes off and the man has a bullet in his head which leaves you completely baffled as to what has just gone on.
This new culture fascinated me, everything was different, road size, road signs, building heights, and the shear scale of it all was ridiculous. I found I was taking photographs of normal everyday things that in England I would find so mundane. Capturing this shot didn’t take a lot for me to think about. The yellow taxis mesmerized me, which becomes obvious as you scroll through other images taken that day. I wanted to capture their presence in the shot and use them to frame the city. Every block you came to there was a fresh sight to look down to road and see the array of taller bigger buildings, so stopping to wait for the pedestrian sign to say ‘Walk’ didn’t make the city flow. Each time you crossed the
road there would be a great deal of people impatiently waiting to get to work, or looking aimlessly into the fascinating sites poising their cameras- one of which was me! On this occasion I was fascinated that only one person was waiting to cross the road- this man in the beige ‘spy’ outfit on captured my gaze because of his shifty manor.




Kully Sidhu

 dragged my friends out during the Christmas holidays once for a random photoshoot, because on this day the weather was just amazing. (It was freezing cold) BUT it was really misty and a little gloomy. It looked like somebody had come around with a smoke machine.

After moving them around and shooting them for about an hour or two with my SLR, we decided to walk home. And obviously they walked ahead because I walk so slow and I noticed you could make out a slight winding path, and in the woods, I just thought it looked intriguing. I decided to shoot them with my trusty disposable camera this time (really does give the best effects sometimes) thinking that by chance, a good shot might come out of it.

And to be honest, I preferred that shot with a £3 disposable camera more than the hundreds I'd taken on my SLR. The disposable camera captured the misty weather a lot better all around, where as the SLR made it look like the mist was in the background.

Sometimes, the just-by-chance shots or the mistake shots are the best. (this is why you should always have a camera with you).



Carley Chiu
Catorgary: Illustration
Course: Graphic design

The image shows a person with a huge eye is looking at a young woman in a see-through box. The see-through box with the young lady is to suggest the female feels trap every time the mysterious eye starts stalking her. There are four eyes appearing in different position behind the square, which is to show he is everywhere.    



Sofie x

No comments:

Post a Comment